Welcome to St. Paul's School!
All school photograph with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, fall 2015
At St. Paul’s, an independent K-8 day school steps north of Lake Merritt, our successful approach is based on three principles:
We couple academic rigor with what we call fearless learning.
- At St. Paul’s, students develop the skills and knowledge to navigate ambiguity and to solve complex problems with insight and creativity.
- We have created a supportive community where students approach academic, intellectual, and personal challenges with confidence and courage.
We make service and learning interdependent.
- Our students understand not only how to learn but why to learn.
- We help them understand the importance of serving the community and caring for the planet, and the service itself reinforces lessons from the classroom.
- Students are motivated to learn because they see first-hand why what they are learning is important.
We achieve better, deeper learning by harnessing the power of diversity.
- Research has shown that a diverse student population fuels critical thinking and results in academic excellence.
- We require open and empathetic exploration of cultural, spiritual, and individual differences.
- Students are prepared to step into the world with grace, confidence, and understanding.
These three principles help our students graduate with skill, purpose, and empathy.
|FOUNDED IN 1975|
HEAD OF SCHOOL
Kindergarten - grade 8
Two classes at each grade level
8:1 student:teacher ratio
Average tenure: 10 years
55% of full time faculty hold advanced degrees
Music: Choral and percussion
Electives for grades 7 & 8 including drama
AFTER SCHOOL OFFERINGS
After School Program: study hall, music lessons, science, chess, cooking, art, Legos, and more
Team Sports for grades 6-8
Band for grades 4-8
Before care begins at 7:30 a.m. and regular drop-off at 8 a.m.
The After School Program runs until 6 p.m.
St. Paul's Communications Archive